internetworkers - Re: internetworkers digest: November 17, 2001

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: internetworkers digest: November 17, 2001
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 14:00:46 -0500

"Andrew C. Oliver" wrote:
> Funny... I like to call it "illegal dumping".. Penetration pricing
> means lower than you would, not lower than you can (at a loss would be
> can) to put the competition out of the market.

There's another relevant term in this instance: "predatory pricing".
See "Antitrust". Firms are allowed to price things below cost, there
may be sound business reasons for doing so. But they are not allowed to
price below cost to the extent (and with the intent and result) that
they steal all the sales from competing firms.

I haven't been paying too much attention to the game platform market
lately. How does the Xbox price compare to Sony & Nintendo (& Sega?)?
Is it pre-emptively low?

TaB