internetworkers - Re: granting access to user data?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Rowland Smith <rowland AT webperformanceinc.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: granting access to user data?
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:56:17 -0400

Beth Ellison wrote:

> "Among the arguments in favor of Linux: reports that some versions of
> Windows contain backdoors designed to grant the U.S. National Security
> Agency access to users' data."
>
> Does anyone know anything more about this? That's some spooky shit.

I've heard this one floating around since the NT 4.0 days. There was some
incident, that I don't remember well at all now, about a year before W2K hit
the streets that started this off. A good deal of speculation mixed with
just enough fact to get everyone excited.

Of course, the real interesting part is that anyone who hears this actually
*thinks* that it's possibly true. That speaks volumes about how much the
general technical community trusts MS.

Ah. It's not new, just new to me. Got it. And your last sentence sums things up beautifully.

It's funny how someone always wants to make the old "new" again. Remember the good ol' Clipper chip and Key Escrow? That's just Clinton/Gore era terminology for "backdoor", which is just a shorter way of saying "please lower your trowsers, thank you very much".

Some of our members of congress are already trying to figure out how to repackage the backdoor/key-escrow clusterf*&k and get it passed as law:

Excerpt from Cryptogram from Bruce Schnier re Sept 11th:

"In the wake of the devastating attacks on New York's World Trade Center and the Pentagon, Senator Judd Gregg and other high-ranking government officials quickly seized on the opportunity to resurrect limits on strong encryption and key escrow systems that ensure government access to encrypted messages."

Here's a link to the Cryptogram that's quoted above.

http://www.counterpane.com/crypto-gram-0109a.html

Beth

--
Scott

You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as: leonardbernst55 AT hotmail.com

Talk to ya,
Rowland

"The whole problem with the world is
that fools and fanatics are always so