internetworkers - October Gathering -- Orange County Social Club

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, inet-announce AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: October Gathering -- Orange County Social Club
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 23:51:39 -0400

InterNetWorkers is reconvening in Carrboro, at the newly-opened Orange
County Social Club. Read on for for a few important points of
information.

What: The InterNetWorkers Community gathers in Carrboro
Where: Orange County Social Club
110 East Main Street; Carrboro
919-933-0669
When: Thursday, October 4, 2001 at 7:00 p.m.
Why: 1) Let's thank Uzi for his contribution to INW
2) Let's help a great new watering hole get off to a good
start
3) There's nothing better than a bar with a sofa or two

Point 1: Thanks to Uzi. Our great friend and co-conspirator Uzoma
Nwosu, tireless organizer of many INW events, boundless source of good
cheer, and the man with the card tricks, has decided to give it a rest
for a while. This gathering is a time to give him a pat on the back and
show our appreciation for all he's done.

Point 2: Bar. The Orange County Social Club has only just opened. It
is in a very cool location, the previous home of Ventana Communications
(remember the Internet Membership Kit?) and later, catalogue.com. (In
fact, the bar is just about where my old desk used to be.) Owner Trish
Megisian created the OCSC to be a community-oriented gathering spot. I
figure INW is just the crowd to inaugurate the spirit of the place.

More information can be found in this Chapel Hill News article:
http://www.chapelhillnews.com/Issues/2001/07/29/news03.html
and pictures of the work-in-progress from a couple weeks ago by our own
Dave M. can be found here:
http://www.ibiblio.org/matusiak/ocsc/
Map: http://www.mapquest.com/cgi-bin/share?ses2geu6a8yckmej

The OCSC is just up the street from Tyler's, where we have gathered a
number of times in the past. It is right next to the Friendly Barber
Shop, just look for the stripes on the pole. Ample public parking is
available less than a block away, around the corner across Greensboro
Street (next to the Trading Post) and around the corner across Roberson
Street (across from the Armadillo Grill). There's a small amount of
parking immediately behind the place and in the Bank of America lot next
door.

Point 3: Food. One thing the OCSC doesn't have right now is food. I
have heard and understand that there will be no objections to discreetly
bringing in takeout food from nearby places such as Armadillo Grill,
Weaver Street Market, Amante Pizza, or even Wendy's. Be subtle.

Also, Trish plans to make the OCSC a membership club so that she can
serve liquor. Membership is $10.00, so I you come and like what you
see, please think about joining.

As usual, please RSVP to me if you plan to come, so I can tell Trish how
many people to expect. Thanks!

See you at the Orange County Social Club.

TaB

  • October Gathering -- Orange County Social Club, Thomas Beckett, 09/28/2001