internetworkers - Contract job in ASP?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Margaret Coin <margaret AT coinconsult.net>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Contract job in ASP?
  • Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 23:35:11 -0400

Hi all,

I need some help with a project for a non-profit client. I'm a designer, not a programmer....

Will anyone interested in working with me on a contract basis please contact me off-list?

Basically, these folks keep their membership info in an Access database. They want to use it in 2 ways on their website:

1) a password protected area, to enter via a web page, rather than a pop-up dialog box, using user ids and passwords that they assign to their membership base.

2) within this password protected area, a "static" membership directory with basic contact info ... that is, a simple listing of the information, rather than a searchable form, which may come later. We need a way for them to be able to update the member info, again from their Access database.

Here are a few technical specs:

The site is on an NT 4 server. It has FrontPage extensions (currently designed in FP, but redesign is in DreamWeaver). ASP & JavaScript are OK, not PERL. The web host doesn't currently have a database available, but could install Access (which is what the client's database is in). He mentioned SQL and said it's not free (but isn't there a freeware "lite" version?). He also mentioned another client had Access database info embedded in their site, but wasn't using a separate server-based database - something we might do? As for "locking down" the directory, he said that can be done thru the NT server or included in what you put together.

The membership base is currently at about 1600, projected growth for the next 5 years still under 2500. The directory would include basic contact info (name, address, phone number, email). Each member has an assigned ID # that will be used as their userid and then we will need to assign passwords as well.

So what I envision is something that will take info from the client's Access database, build the directory pages (static, not searchable at this time). Also a web-page based login using userid and password, rather than a popup dialogue box.

Original plan was to have the site go live by Sept 30. Obviously timing is a little off -- at least on the directory and password protection aspect. Unless, of course, you have *nothing* else to do and can whip up this little project in a couple of weeks.

Please let me know if I've given you enough info to provide a proposal including timeline and fees.

Thanks,

Margaret

* Margaret Coin
* President, coinConsult
* Design & Development for the World Wide Web
* 137 Montclair Circle
* Durham, North Carolina 27713-2516 USA
* (919) 423-6221 / fax (919) 544-3239
* E-mail: margaret AT coinconsult.net
* Web site: http://www.coinconsult.net

  • Contract job in ASP?, Margaret Coin, 09/16/2001