internetworkers - Support for fellow citizens

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Julie Waddle <jwaddle AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Support for fellow citizens
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 13:58:51 -0400

Hi all,

There's a lot of lists about what we can do to help NYC, like giving
blood and money. One other thing we can do is show that we do not blame
one ethnic group as a whole. If you hear someone blaming people of
Arabic descent or Muslims, point out that their religion is against
religious war:
"He who fights for Allah's cause fights for himself.
Allah does not need the help of his creations."
Quran 29:5

If you walk into a gas station with an Arabic attendant, be especially
polite to them, to counteract any negative attitudes they've
encountered. Go out of your way to patronize an Arabic establishment,
like Silk Road in Chapel Hill or Neomonde in Raleigh. Write letters to
the editor or posters for lightposts. Be proactive about maintaining the
attitudes that makes us a tolerant and caring culture.

Take care all,
Julie Waddle