internetworkers - Re: non violent response

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Robert Weeks <robert AT designhammer.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: non violent response
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 09:40:00 -0400

Any military action carries political consequences as well as risks to the
fighting forces, and there is never a guarantee of success, as the United
States found out when it tried to retaliate against the Saudi dissident
Osama bin Laden for the bombing of two United States embassies in Kenya and
Tanzania in 1998.

The Pentagon fired several dozen Tomahawk cruise missiles at Mr. bin Laden's
training camps in Afghanistan, but missed him and his top aides. Another
strike, at a pharmaceutical plant in Sudan, backfired when information that
Mr. bin Laden was linked to the factory was challenged.