internetworkers - Re: Irony?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Josef J. Komenda" <joe AT komejo.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Irony?
  • Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 21:08:14 -0400

"We haven't had any irony here since about, uh, '83, when I was the only
practitioner of it. And I stopped because I was getting tired of being stared
at."

~Steve Martin, Roxanne

> Josep Lluís Guallar Esteve wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I've been in the US now for a year. And I'm puzzled. After getting blank
> looks from pretty much everybody and their mothers, I guess that irony is
> an alien concept in the US.

[snip]

> Is it that bad in the US? I mean, nobody gets irony here? Or is it me, not
> getting the True American Reaction to Irony (TM)?

Americans may be so busy listening to your beautiful accent that they do not
realize that you are being ironic. Also, some are probably afraid to react, on
the off chance that you are *not* being ironic, because persons "not from
'round
here" sometime act a mite peculiar.

Finally, I think that America is so overwhelmed with irony, that we don't
react
to it very much.

Ta!
Joe K

  • Irony?, Josep Lluís Guallar Esteve, 08/04/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Irony?, Josef J. Komenda, 08/04/2001
    • Re: Irony?, Calvin Powers, 08/04/2001
    • Re: Irony?, Jeff LeRose, 08/06/2001