internetworkers - Re: DCMA/Sklyarov petition

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Josef J. Komenda" <joe AT komejo.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: DCMA/Sklyarov petition
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 20:37:34 -0400

Paul Jones wrote:

> http://www.dibona.com/dmca
> Chris DiBona, co-editor of Open Sources and Linux advocate, has along with
> other net.heroes set up a declaration/petition to be passed on to congress
> regarding the DCMA and Sklyarov's imprisonment for discussing the bogus
> security implemented by Adobe.
> If you would like to sign, go to http://www.dibona.com/dmca/

Hmmm... am I missing something here? I thought he was arrested because he was
principal programmer of an e-book cracking program (Advanced eBook Processor)
that his company (ElcomSoft) was selling for $100 a pop. It says he was
arrested
for distributing this software in Las Vegas. Software which exists for the
sole
purpose of reading Adobe e-books without paying Adobe for them. Or is Wired
incorrect?

How does Adobe's poor crypto constitute an invitation for theft? Would you
defend someone selling skeleton keys to the locks on my house, simply because
it
wasn't *that* hard to make them?

I'm confused. Please guide me in this. The DMCA may be vile, but how does that
justify ElcomSoft's actions and their 'you can't touch us' attitude?

Joe K