internetworkers - More thoughts on Microsoft and Java

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Calvin Powers <calvin AT cspowers.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: More thoughts on Microsoft and Java
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 21:16:07 -0400

I've been thinking more about the Microsoft decision to not ship a JVM run time in Windows. Hey, when I'm stuck at home doing mindless domestic chores, my mind wanders....

Rather than going on about whether Microsoft should or shouldn't have made this decision, which we can't control. We should work on things we can control.

One activity that is going on is a movement to get PC sellers to bundle current Java runtime environment with the machines they sell, so that the end-user doesn't have to download or install anything. Check out:
http://www.oreilly.com/news/jvm_0701.html

On top of that, we need to promote Java based and Java exploiting applications. For example, what e-mail clients are pure Java? Which can run Java applets when they display e-mail? Dunno. But we ought to find out and encourage people to use them. And people using these apps would likely also benefit from having a non-MAPI based e-mail system.

Just a thought....

Calvin Powers current events
mailto:calvin AT cspowers.com cultural phenomena
http://www.sff.net/people/powers/ true stories
"the revolution will not be televised" http://www.StuckInTraffic.com/