internetworkers - Re: Tightening the M$ screws....

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney <alchemist AT darkcanvas.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Tightening the M$ screws....
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 11:54:41 -0400

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 11:32:32AM -0400, Austin, Roger spoke thusly:
> It looked like MS is stating the obvious (as if any of it sounds
> obvious.) You can't combine and compile MS software with Linux or other
> open source stuff. What's new? How does this change anything?

No, almost all of the tools have been ported to dos/windows. SO you can
use gcc and bison and bash and most of your favorite command line tools
under windows.

What this says is you cannot use any of those tools on their handheld
platofrm. Want to compile a program? Gotta use M$ or M$ liceneced tools,
and no free software.

No perl. No apache. Both of these were ported to win32. But I guess M$
isn't happy with that. I guess if you want to build something in perl,
you're not allowed to use the non-commercial free ports.

And I have to wonder if this prevents you from releasing free/open
software on the platform as well...

-- Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney --
-- New email : alchemist AT darkcanvas.com --
-- http://www.darkcanvas.com/~alchemist --