internetworkers - job definitions, web and "legacy system (mainframe)"

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Kim Ashley" <Kim.Ashley AT bcbsnc.com>
  • To: <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: job definitions, web and "legacy system (mainframe)"
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:48:20 -0400

<Delurk>
Hello fellow geeks! I'd like to get your feedback on something that my HR
department is struggling with. They're trying to better define job roles and
functions for IT developers within our company (Blue Cross/Blue Shield of NC:
3000 employees, about 150 IT folks in my area). They are asking if the
day-to-day functions and roles of a web developer are sufficiently different
from the day-to-day functions and roles of a legacy system (mainframe)
developer to merit an entirely different job definition?

The intent is to use these job definitions to help guide employees
career-paths, cross-training opportunities, etc. Some people are inclined to
lump anyone who programs into one "track", other people insist that web vs.
mainframe environments and required skill-sets are so different that they
need entirely different "tracks".

What do you think? Thanks in advance for your input!
Kim

Kim Ashley
Web Developer
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina
(919) 765-4178
kim.ashley AT bcbsnc.com

  • job definitions, web and "legacy system (mainframe)", Kim Ashley, 06/11/2001