internetworkers - Re: does Internet work enrich the rest of your life? -HA!-

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "David R. Matusiak" <matusiak AT hotmail.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: does Internet work enrich the rest of your life? -HA!-
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 17:47:36 -0400

"my parents are bad & I just invented sex."

thank you, Linda! i've been agonizing for years over what to call my first novel, but alas, you have made it rediculously easy for me. ;)

a minor point, but important nonetheless...
perhaps the only thing i have disagreed with Roger upon thusfar:
"I don't think retail or service work would be very enriching."

i would have to say that these types of "menial" and "marginal" and "mundane" positions can provide an individual with some of the most valuable *people*skills* they could ever need. this is a life enrichment because (apparently) no matter how far our society advances, there is still a surplus of complete assholes. and people need to know how to deal with these "limited interaction ability" folks.

i've had what i consider to be two lifetimes of this type of experience and altho i'm glad it is in the past, i do not think i would trade this valuable, enriching experience for all the izod lacoste three-button golf shirts in the world.

hmmmm... what has the internet career experience given us?

1. carpal tunnel syndrome
2. really bad eyesight
3. email checking addiction / general internet malaise addiction
4. attention deficit disorder / "continuous partial attention"
5. lack of interest in human interaction / various types of isolation
6. grandiose expectations for what the world owes you
7. immediate access to bomb making information
8. "i'm a knowledge worker, so that entitles me to be a pompous ass" disorder
9. stock option shrinkage providing direct link to increase in suicidal behavior
10. pagers / cell phones / things that make annoying beeps
11. too goddamn busy to even know what the hell is going on most of the time (other than the intricate details of your product development team).

i thought all this technology was sposda save us all kinds of time and create situations where we would have to work less and spend more time with our families, friends, and watching the simpsons...

instead, we have road rage, power shortages, mid-flight airline assault, PDAs with too short of battery life, and kids stuck in the K hole.

yeah, all this access and info is doing us a lot of good.

a few things that might be construed as positive:
1. multi-tasking abilities are improving
2. learn about whatever kinky thing interests you
3. apply other disciplines in your life and incorporate that into your work
4. learn to embrace the abuse of stimulants
5. you like to steal copyrighted material

however, i think my favorite "enrichment" from working with the internet is making the people who don't know what the hell they are talking about look like the complete fools that they are. this is the real clincher. over the course of the ages, too many folks have been able to fudge their way along in life without really knowing/doing anything. "bullshit artists" is a term you might be familiar with.

in this complex day and age of "does it friggin' work?" and "everythings a friggin' acronym," it becomes a humorous game to seperate the wheat from the chaff. have a conversation with some marketing droid about technology integration and they will fill your ears with so many buzzwords that you will surely want to drown yourself.

then ask them to make it work. or even more clearly explain what it is they are talking about. now they will be drowning.

this wasn't meant to be a sinister email; just an honest account of my answer to your inquiry. and please don't begin the long process of explaining to me how we "need" those types of spinsters. only one question matters anymore: "does it work?"

dave ;)
who has had enough of buzzword bullshit for the day...