internetworkers - Re: [Long] Why Microsoft is a Dinosaur, Tony Stanco

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Calvin Powers <calvin AT cspowers.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [Long] Why Microsoft is a Dinosaur, Tony Stanco
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 21:31:02 -0400

At 01:09 PM 4/25/2001 -0400, you wrote:
on Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 12:49:34PM -0400, Josep L. Guallar-Esteve wrote:
> I just received this article. I found i interesting for all of us,
> Information-related people.

FWIW, many of the arguments used in the article are also found in Larry
Lessig's _Code_, which I recommend to everyone here - it's a great and
challenging read.

http://jaundicedeye.com/cgi-bin/lucre/0465039138

I would also recommend Eric S. Raymond's writings:
http://tuxedo.org/~esr/writings/

"Cathederal and The Bazaar" is Eric's classic text, but "Homesteading the Noosphere" is, I think, more directly relevant to the essay that was posted to the list. Personally, I think Eric's take on this stuff is a bit more down to earth.

As a big fan, supporter, and (_very_)minor participant in the Open Source movement, it amuses me to see so many neo-Marxists citing the Open Source movement as proof that capitalism is an outdated dinosaur and soon to be obsolete.

Don't get me wrong, I buy into the notion that the open source movement is a successful and viable gift-culture. But A) I don't believe that gift-cultures are incompatible with, or underimining of, a capitalist society and B) Just because the open source movement is successful and viable doesn't mean it's going to _dominate_ or _replace_ the corporate-based software industry.

Indeed, many corporations (except perhaps Microsoft), including my employer (IBM), are doing a pretty darn good job both supporting the Open Source movement and (dare I say it) capitalizing on the Open Source movement to enhance share-holder value. Check out http://www.ibm.com/linux and http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/ for some examples.

Calvin Powers current events
mailto:calvin AT cspowers.com cultural phenomena
http://www.sff.net/people/powers/ true stories
"the revolution will not be televised" http://www.StuckInTraffic.com/