internetworkers - Re: VIRUS WARNING

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "David R. Matusiak" <matusiak AT hotmail.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: VIRUS WARNING
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 10:29:59 -0400

Thomas,

you are exactly correct. either her email has been hacked and someone is sending spurious virii msgs (every hour on the hour, it appears) or she has contracted a lovely social computer virus.

for the few who do not already know, files with a .scr extension are the latest "fave" of low-brow virus writers. in a valid form, they are "scr"eensavers that amaze and entertain millions. in this henious form, this extension is appended behind other commonly known file types (notice how they all have .doc or another common file type BEFORE the .scr).

they are going on the assumption that the //windows// system will hide commonly known file extensions (of which .scr is one, i believe) and people will just see "backstreetboys.doc" and get all excited and open it up. and it just so happens that internetworkers is in Tracy's address book, thus we get to enjoy this extra mail!

i certainly hope no one else was bitten. delete them now for your own good. and hopefully Tracy can get that nasty person and/or virus off of her machine.

d.m.