internetworkers - Re: Where to Buy PC Parts in the Triangle?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "David R. Matusiak" <matusiak AT hotmail.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Where to Buy PC Parts in the Triangle?
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 20:36:27 -0500

wassup, Bill? -- and welcome to the triangle.

its funny... from only reading the subject line of your message, i had already answered your question.

then i open your mail and realize that you have read my mind in advance. excellent scouting work, btw.

intrex - smaller, local shops. fairly knowledgable staff. usually very competitive pricing. they exude an air of "flexibility" not seen in other local comp shops. in short, i like intrex. don't always have what you need, but they are always happy to order it for you. i've had several good exchanges with them.

stay online - huge, volume-oriented, yet rediculously priced. [try and explain _that_ business model to me ;) ] they ALWAYS have exactly what you need; only it will cost you 33% more than you find anywhere else. most of their staff borders on "expert" territory. they are great to go to for answers and recommendations, then buy online.

they have some weird type of "club" you have to join to be a customer (which is where they lost my business for all time). as a member of TriLUG (triangle linux users group --- www.trilug.org iffin' yer interested) i am entitled to a discount. however, even taking into account the discount, they are still consistently overpriced. BUT THEY HAVE WHAT YOU NEED. (sounds too convenient, doesn't it?)

microbarn -- only seen their store online. looks like they've got good prices, but without first-hand knowledge of customer service, etc. i cannot make a judgement one way or the other.

in a pinch, i will shop best buy, circuit city or comp usa. caveat: DO NOT *EVER* ASK THESE PEOPLE TECHNICAL QUESTIONS. the NC legislature will not condone homocide, EVEN if you were totally justified. just go in there knowing what you want/need and buy it. no discussion.

sorry i don't have any more info. i will rack my brain for further suggestions. does it have to be local? i've gotten some excellent deals and service from:

www.mwave.com
-and-
www.mwmicro.com

they rock! oh well, hope this helps. again, welcome to our little tech abode. may it treat you well.
dave ;)

---
perl -le '$_="6110>374086;2064208213:90<307;55";tr[0->][ LEOR\!AUBGNSTY];print'