internetworkers - Re: Former Employees May Be Untapped Resource (article)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Lori Laubach" <lorilral AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Former Employees May Be Untapped Resource (article)
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 08:02:26 -0500

Layoff, downsize, reduction in force, rightsizing, headcount correction...
Had to respond to this thread, as one who has been (very recently) on both
sides of this issue. I agree that in the professional ranks it's pretty
unlikely that employees will return fulltime to an employer who has laid
them off, or one they left after watching multiple rounds of their
colleagues subjected to layoff. They DO often return as
contractors/consultants at very good rates (which allow them to purchase
benefits, etc and recognize cash increases). This happens so often, in
fact, that the IRS has research services routinely forward layoff info so
they can follow up with statutory employee audits. Layoffs are far more
often number of heads the board says decrease than number of dollars, as odd
as this seems. As an HR type, I have done more layoff sessions than I care
to recount (including my own!). It may seem cynical, but it IS appreciated,
by BOTH the staff let go and the staff remaining, to take many of the steps
mentioned in the article. It's still a bummer, it's still hard on morale,
but it helps. A few years ago at a local company I set up a "do it
yourself" outplacement when we couldn't afford to use a vendor's services.
I have NEVER had a departing employee who was disinterested in job leads, an
offer to help with resume questions, etc. The Gartner piece is blatantly
self-serving (even naive) in some areas, but it's a very small world, and
treating people with dignity is never a mistake. No question, here are
times when it is impossible for companies to allow staff continued access to
company equipment, premises, etc. As the hapless soul who has to hire AND
fire, the moral of the story is still what goes around comes around so do
unto others as you would have done unto you. But it still sucks.