internetworkers - Re: where to buy a PC

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "David Wagoner" <dbwagoner AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: where to buy a PC
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 10:17:14 -0500

I can second the Dell recommendation. My girlfriend bought a Dell desktop
last year and one night during a storm lightening fried the modem. I called
Dell on her 3 year on-site support agreement and they had a local technician
come in a couple of days, look at the modem and say "yep, it's dead", and
Dell sent a new modem overnight express and the guy came back and installed
it. No charge to my girlfriend. I was really impressed and bought a Dell
laptop for myself.

However, one word of caution about Dell laptops. I thought mine was great
until my company gave me a Toshiba 4300 laptop and it was much lighter,
cooler looking, and ran smoother than the Dell. Of course it came with
Win2000 and my Dell runs the clunky Win98. Check out Toshiba laptops
because I see lots of computer companies using them.

Best,

David