internetworkers - May I see your Internet license and registration, please? Children to take Internet proficiency tests in UK

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "saundrakaerubel.com" <saundrakae AT saundrakaerubel.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: May I see your Internet license and registration, please? Children to take Internet proficiency tests in UK
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 13:32:00 -0500

Good idea or government interfering in the family? Send your thoughts.

May I see your Internet license and registration, please?
Asserting that parents often demonstrate little awareness
of their responsibilities for their children's computer
use, the U.K.'s Institute of Public Policy Research
Tuesday unveiled a plan to have children take an Internet
proficiency test before they are allowed unsupervised
access to it. Damien Tambini, a research fellow at IPPR,
described the test as one that would help students
understand "how to respond to meeting strangers in chat
rooms and how to get the most out of the Net." The test
would be administered to children once they reach age 11.
It's already drawing criticisms from observers who suggest
that it would simply provide them with a better means of
finding sites that they shouldn't see.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,430658,00.html

Saundra

Saundra Kae Rubel

Information Philanthropist
If you don't like the technology, go out and make some of your own.
http://www.saundrakaerubel.com

  • May I see your Internet license and registration, please? Children to take Internet proficiency tests in UK, saundrakaerubel.com, 01/31/2001