internetworkers - Re: Privacy Bill Sponsored by NC Democrat, Senator John Edwards

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Ron Thigpen <rthigpen AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Privacy Bill Sponsored by NC Democrat, Senator John Edwards
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 11:46:44 -0500

I believe this is probably targeting non-browser, or embedded browser
technologies. There's plenty of privacy abuse that doesn't rely on cookies.
There have been numerous cases of information sharing through these means. A
couple that come to mind are CometCursor and CuteFTP. Whether or not the
language of this bill would be effective is another matter.

-Ron Thigpen

Rafe Colburn wrote:

> What a joke. If it specifically excludes cookies from regulation, how
> can it accomplish its stated goal? The press release is at:
>
> http://www.senate.gov/~edwards/press/2001/jan29c-pr.html
>
> Edwards bill is here:
>
> http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c106:S.3180:

  • Re: Privacy Bill Sponsored by NC Democrat, Senator John Edwards, Ron Thigpen, 01/30/2001