internetworkers - online chat Tues Jan 16 9AM (PST) - "The Future of Web Design: Sucky or Savvy?"

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "saundrakaerubel.com" <saundrakae AT saundrakaerubel.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: online chat Tues Jan 16 9AM (PST) - "The Future of Web Design: Sucky or Savvy?"
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 08:59:10 -0500

FYI

Chat Topic: "The Future of Web Design: Sucky or Savvy?"
(This chat will be held online through egroups (see below) at 9:00 am on Tuesday, January 16th.)
Join "WebPagesThatSuck" guru Vincent Flanders for a lively give-and-take as he talks about his impressions of turn-of-the-century Web design...and asks Webgrrls for their opinions on such pressing issues as "Is Flash Really a 'Guy' Thing?" (yes, someone really said that to him...).
Vincent Flanders was the Webmaster for Lightspeed Net, now a part of OneMain.com, from 1995-1997. At the same time, he taught HTML to various local businesses, which led, in 1996, to his launch of WebPagesThatSuck.com...an offshoot of his classes. The site not only became extremely popular, but racked up a number of awards, including selection as one of PC Magazine's Top 100 Web Sites, a Yahoo! Pick of the Week, a USA Today Hot Site and a Cool Site of the Day. In 1998, Vincent and local designer Michael Willis published the book, "Web Pages That Suck: Learn Good Design by Looking at Bad Design," which quickly became the "Strunk and White" of Web design. Today, Vincent lives in Bakersfield, CA, and because of the frequent queries he receives from people pleading "I know my site sucks -- what can I do to fix it?," he's preparing to launch his next venture, FixingYourWebSite.com, which he hopes will be to good design what WebPagesThatSuck.com is to bad design.
**Note: For non Webgrrls-L.A. members: To get into the WGLA chat room, you have to sign into eGroups, at http://www.egroups.com If you're already registered with eGroups, then sign in with your name and password, go to "My Groups," click on "WGLA," and then on "Chat." If you're not yet registered with eGroups, then go to the main eGroups page, search for "wgla" in the search box, follow their registration instructions and, once you're registered, follow the sequence above. (We recommend you do this one day before the chat to ensure entry.) You need to join the Webgrrls-L.A. chapter, at least for the day of the chat, but you can opt to receive "no mail" so you won't be bombarded with e-mails.

  • online chat Tues Jan 16 9AM (PST) - "The Future of Web Design: Sucky or Savvy?", saundrakaerubel.com, 01/15/2001