internetworkers - having content available in a free country

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "saundrakaerubel.com" <saundrakae AT saundrakaerubel.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: having content available in a free country
  • Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 13:22:05 -0500

Hi

The recent emails on paying for content have really challenged me to think deeply about the issue. When I saw the following article, I thought I would pass it on to you. I am very glad to live in a country where you can have access to a variety of information sites. The article listed below speaks about China and it's restrictive content rules. But as the Internet is world wide, users are able to go to any website they choose (supposedly). However, these sites described below are not able to report or write original news content and are forced to provide content that is only deemed acceptable by government I am glad that I am here.

[FREE SPEECH]
Chinese Sites Get Right to Publish Government Content
Chinese Internet portals Sina.com and Sohu.com said they had been
granted news-publishing licenses under restrictive new rules. The rules,
which will force all web sites to use politically vetted content from
existing state media, are part of an effort by communist authorities to
block potentially subversive content from spreading online.
Read the article: Wired News @

Saundra

  • having content available in a free country, saundrakaerubel.com, 01/06/2001