internetworkers - Re: Electronic/Digital Signature Question

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Electronic/Digital Signature Question
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 20:05:04 -0500

on Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 10:49:59AM -0500, laura AT cnewsgroup.com wrote:
> Anyone familiar with this? How do you make a form accept digital
> signatures?

What are you signing? I'm not sure what you're asking, here. Most of
the digital signatures I've seen are just an extra chunk of text that
represents a "hash" of the contents of a different chunk of text, but
that can only be created by a given key, so as to provide both
verifiable contents and authentication. If you use PGP, this can be done
on the backend quite easily, though we usually just encrypt things
instead of signing them. But it all depends on how extensive you want
to get, how savvy the user is, etc.

Tell us more about your situation and maybe we can help more.

Steve

--
tired of being an underappreciated functionary in a soulless machine?
hesketh.com is hiring: http://www.hesketh.com/careers/