internetworkers - [Fwd: FC: California government shuts down Nader-Gore vote trading site]

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: B <beeline AT mindspring.com>
  • Subject: [Fwd: FC: California government shuts down Nader-Gore vote trading site]
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 15:04:55 -0500

[This email is sent to multiple recipients; recipient information
suppressed for privacy.]

About closing the Nader-Gore Vote Swap sites....

Does this seem wrong to y'all? True, votes cannot by law -- and should
not -- be bought and sold or bartered for goods. However, the Nader-Gore
Vote swap is a private agreement between two people who freely choose to
associate with and trust each another, neither of whom will gain
materially by one iota once the deal is done. How are votes being
"brokered"?

I don't understand how this is any different from two Congress members
trading votes on particular bills, or union members agreeing to support
a particular candidate, or a neighbor eliciting your promise to vote for
his favorite candidate for county commission. OTOH, I do see first
amendment reasons (specifically freedoms of association, speech, and
press) to leave these sites strictly alone.

The problem must be with the visibility... surely the government of
California is not attempting to keep United States citizens from
expressing their political will in a national election. ... ... ...

URLs:

* http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20001031/pl/campaign_traders_dc_1.html
(Reuters)
* http://www.commondreams.org/headlines/103100-02.htm ("Progressive"