internetworkers - Re: Do IT workers need 4 year degrees?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Austin, Roger" <rda AT rti.org>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Do IT workers need 4 year degrees?
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 12:57:31 -0400

I agree with "B". There is a difference between education and training.
Training is part of education, but not equivalent. Frankly, when I hire
someone, I want them to be someone who is interesting to be around for a
significant part of the day. A high school dropout wizard doesn't have
the life experiences that someone from most four year schools (or
perhaps military.) I usually refer to it as maturity.
Frankly, people who don't continue educating themselves after a degree
program wouldn't be all that interesting to me as employees. "Pushing
the envelope..." is a phrase I hear a lot about. Pushing a small
envelope is not all that desirable. A degree program at a decent school
usually gives you a bigger envelope to start with.
Roger (in RTP, now looking for an envelope...)

B wrote:

> IMHO, +everyone+ would benefit from a 4-year degree program. Not only do
> such students get discipline and exposure to "new" or foreign ideas,
> they also are forced to stretch their minds in different directions,
> thereby learning mental flexibility. Tech ed gives the student the
> know-how to use a particular set of tools to achieve a particular type
> of goal or solving specific types of problems. However, a wider
> education lets them map an approach to a goal from a number of different
> directions, as well as apply specialized tools to problems that may at
> first seem unrelated....
<snip>