internetworkers - Re: experience networking at home with cable modem?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Dallas Smith <sallad AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: experience networking at home with cable modem?
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 23:39:59 -0400 (EDT)

I'm running Roadrunner in my apartment, and my roommate and I have our
three computers networked with relatively no problems. I'm using Windows
2000 on my desktop which acts as a gateway, but initially used Windows 98,
and it ran and shared files with no problem. I had to do some
configuration for Windows 2000 though.

I've got two Ethernet cards in my desktop, and have my roomy's computer
and my laptop connected by a hub on a separate internal network. It
seemed like a much cheaper way to go since I already had the hub and spare
Ethernet cards.

The only problems we seem to have is that our service randomly will start
dropping packets after a while of not using it, but all I do is an
ipconfig /renew, and it's fixed. It only started doing this though after
I switched to Windows 2000; Windows 98 didn't have this problem.

If I were to do it again, I'm not sure I'd go with Roadrunner again, I've
had a hard time getting them to answer my questions over the phone, and an
even harder time getting them to ever show up at their
appointments. Anyhow, good luck, and if you have any specific questions
about what I did, feel free to ask.

Dallas

Dallas Anne Smith AIM: BusChic71
http://www.unc.edu/~sallad ICQ: 8707833