internetworkers - Re: copyright

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Thomas A. Beckett" <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: copyright
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 12:04:47 -0400

S S Tempest wrote:
> I'm back, with further thoughts on the copyright debate.

It's an inexhaustably interesting subject, no? Especially to us
"knowledge workers".

> There's a strong lobby by the recording and publishing industry
> to have these laws shaped to their advantages. So it's really important
> for us, as the audience for music and art and writing, to make sure
> the laws that passed are in our best interest and in the interest
> of the artists whose work we enjoy. I don't think that's going to
> happen if we let big corporations determine the grounds of the debate.

It's really a serious problem that those industries have been given
almost a blank check in intellectual property law of late. Don't get me
started on the recording industry.... Most other countries in the world
accord writers, artists and other creators certain inherent "moral"
rights in their works which they can't sell. The U.S.'s refusal to do
us makes us something of a rogue nation in that regard. "There's no
such thing as artists or writers, they're all just knowledge workers."

> Charles C. Mann's article in The Atlantic, "The Heavenly Jukebox...from
> Hell"
> http://www.theatlantic.com/cgi-bin/o/issues/2000/09/mann.htm

I'm glad you posted the URL to the Atlantic article on the music
industry. I saw that on the newsstand and haven't had time to read it
yet. Perhaps I can comment more intelligently once I have done so.

TaB

> I'd love to hear more thoughts on the subject.
>
> Here are some links:
>
> Text of the U.S. Copyright law
> http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/title17/
>
> Charles C. Mann's article in The Atlantic, "The Heavenly Jukebox...from
> Hell"
> http://www.theatlantic.com/cgi-bin/o/issues/2000/09/mann.htm
>
> Future of Music, an organization that tries to protect the interests of
> both musicians and fans
> (incidentally, a performance by founder Jenny Toomey's band Liquorice
> was one of the best concerts I have ever attended)
> http://www.futureofmusic.org
>
> Snow T.
>
> Send your favorite photo with any online greeting!
> http://www.whowhere.lycos.com/redirects/americangreetings.rdct

> http://metalab.unc.edu/internetworkers/
> You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as: thomas AT tbeckett.com

  • copyright, S S Tempest, 08/22/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: copyright, Thomas A. Beckett, 08/23/2000