internetworkers - Re: ICANN membership and Board candidate endorsement

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Christian Stalberg" <cstalberg AT develop.net>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: ICANN membership and Board candidate endorsement
  • Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 20:18:47 -0400

Well, I'm subsribed to the cpsr-activists list and I'm hoping that as an
organization they'll endorse someone (or at least narrow the choices). In
the meantime, you can go to /. and see an active thread about the candidates
and their response to the Civil Society Statement on ICANN Elections at

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/08/17/138209&mode=thread

On the CPSR website at
http://www.cpsr.org/internetdemocracy/friends-of-civsoc.html there are links
to candidate's Karl Auerbach and Barbara Simons webpages.

What is troubling is the following (excerpts from the /. thread):

There are about 20,000 of us in North America who registered. 7,000 have
activated their registration.
The people running to be member-nominated need 2% of the people who have
activated their registration by 31 August to endorse them in order to be on
the final ballot.
Less than 300 people, out of the 7,000+ North Americans who've activated
their registration, have endorsed any candidate. One thing to note, in order
for any of these folks to even make it on the ballot, they need to have 149
endorsements based on the 2% of 7407 at large members in the North American
region. If no one hits this number, there will be no at-large nominees on
the ballot!