internetworkers - Re: How'd they do that?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: How'd they do that?
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 18:16:21 -0400

on Tue, Aug 15, 2000 at 06:06:23PM -0400, Renee Harper wrote:
> What I can't figure out is what technology is behind it. Are they
> displaying it after a given time interval, a given number of link
> clicks, or some random pattern? Any pointers would be excellent!

OK, pick a site (ibm.com, for example) and open your cookies file (or
equivalent) and look for any cookies from that domain and/or path. Now
delete them. Shut your browser down and restart. Configure your
browser so that you have to confirm any cookies. Go back to the site.
You should be able to tell this time how it's working. I know the
Industry Standard used this tactic, where they check to see if they've
bugged you to take a survey (by checking to see if they've set a cookie
in the past) then after you take or refuse the survey, they set the
cookie. That way, when you come back, they'll be able to tell if you
have already been annoyed. If you have, they don't bug you anymore.

http://a.jaundicedeye.com/weblog/
because it just annoys people when I talk to myself...

  • How'd they do that?, Renee Harper, 08/15/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: How'd they do that?, Steven Champeon, 08/15/2000