internetworkers - Re: How does outsourcing save money?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Heather Hesketh <heather AT hesketh.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: How does outsourcing save money?
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 16:47:19 -0400

At 04:32 PM 8/14/2000 -0400, Michael S Czeiszperger wrote:
>> 5. How did the debate on "affordable health care" get replaced by
>> "affordable health insurance"? (Seems to me that any fool could figure
>that
>> any time you add a middleman, the price increases or the quality
>> decreases....)
>>

>This is only tangentially related, but I've heard many times that a
>company can take their IT staff, make them employees of a company such
>as EDS or IBM, and save money. How can having the same people working
>through a middleman charging 20-30% overhead save money? I realize that
>you can put service charges on a separate budget than employees, but
>when anyone looks at the bottom line isn't the profit margin less since
>its costing more?

You don't have to pay benefits to contractors, for one thing.

You also don't have the same sort of overhead for payroll. The contract firm and/or the contractor becomes responsible for the payroll taxes. Keep in mind that employers match the payroll taxes taken out of your paycheck, when you're an employee.

Heather

--
Heather A. Hesketh ! hesketh.com/inc
Web consultant ! vox: 919.834.2552 x12