internetworkers - "University" to test Carnivore

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Thomas A. Beckett" <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Subject: "University" to test Carnivore
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 15:44:19 -0400

The FBI announced that it was going to appoint "a university" to
independently review the efficacy of the Carnivore email intrusion
software. They expect to choose one from a field of nine.

http://www.cnn.com/2000/TECH/computing/08/10/carnivore.reut/index.html

What do you rate the odds that it turns out to be a local school?
Normally, true blue, I'd root for Duke or Carolina, but I'd give State a
better chance than UNC in this.

Why a university and not an independent security consultant shop such
as Counterpane?

TaB