internetworkers - the great debate of '98

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "David R. Matusiak" <matusiak AT hotmail.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: the great debate of '98
  • Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 15:20:46 EDT

the great debate of '98 has now become the 'action item' of 2000. while most claptrap 'web shops' are still clamoring to produce a decent site via HTML, the better developed and forward thinking web dynasties are secretly working with XML to produce sites with better architecture and greater <prospective> longevity. these businesses kick ass; mainly because they employ people who can actually understand this technology, but also because they know that a powerful 'paradigm shift' <yes, i used the phrase 'paradigm shift' and yes, 'paradigm' is spelled correctly> is coming for the web and it's minions.

recently, it was made clear to me that if i ever wanted to see my cherished childhood belongings ever again, i would have to post some incendiary things about XML to this list by August 1, 2000. please note that i have made good on my end of this 'encouraging conversation' and you can now return my collection of sea glass, the cookie monster doll with the eyes that rattle, as well as the star wars figures that *weren't* blown up with M-80s.

since i neither know anything of XML, HTML, SGML, nor any other *ML, i call upon our resident experts <and you know who you are> to make more than a halfhearted attempt to explain it to the masses. (note: masses = this list). below, i have included the URL for the W3C spec for XML as well as a few lynx which might assist some in finding info related to the topic.

seeing how it is summer and traffic on the list has slowed, now is a good opportunity to 'ramp-up' for fall!! aren't you just *dying* to participate?

W3C XML 1.0 spec:
http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-xml-19980210

<i'm not stealing intellectual property here>
The design goals for XML are:
1.XML shall be straightforwardly usable over the Internet.
2.XML shall support a wide variety of applications.
3.XML shall be compatible with SGML.
4.It shall be easy to write programs which process XML documents.
5.The number of optional features in XML is to be kept to the absolute minimum, ideally zero.
6.XML documents should be human-legible and reasonably clear.
7.The XML design should be prepared quickly.
8.The design of XML shall be formal and concise.
9.XML documents shall be easy to create.
10.Terseness in XML markup is of minimal importance.
</i'm not stealing intellectual property here>

the masterlist for what's happening:
http://www.w3.org/XML/

"A Technical Introduction to XML":
http://www.xml.com/pub/98/10/guide0.html

say you wanted to get angry and/or depressed because someone is _already_ working to destroy the XML spec:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/xml/tutorial/

nice & quick breakdown of a simple XML page:
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Peaks/5957/10minxml.html

bullet points, anyone?:
http://www.textuality.com/xml/

from our homies @ metalab (who seem to be having some troubles today, yo):
http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/sun-info/standards/xml/why/xmlapps.html

let the flames commence! i think it would be valuable to hear ALL viewpoints concerning ALL technologies involved in this issue. take a few minutes and contribute!!

luv,
dav

"I still confide in you, almost everyday
Even tho you're not around.
How can that be in your solid state?
How can that be in your solid state?"
~~~Doug Martsch