internetworkers - Music: are we in hogwash, nc?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Paul Jones <pjones AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: MetaLab Ratz <sungroup AT metalab.unc.edu>, internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Music: are we in hogwash, nc?
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 21:22:19 -0400 (EDT)

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-2242208.html

from the end of the article (in which signed musicians sign up to support
their masters):

"What's interesting about art is when it's distributed," said John
Vanderslice, a musician and studio owner who has taken a lead role in
proselytizing for MP3 use among San Francisco's independent music scene.

Vanderslice, who has just released his latest album online in MP3 form
to support his CD, says independent bands can potentially see their
audiences expand dramatically online. Napster and other tools can help, he
argues.

"The problem you had was how to get a CD, which you've just pressed, to
Chapel Hill where you're going to be playing in a month," Vanderslice
said. "You had to convince a distributor to put it on a truck and drive it
all the way across the country to Hogwash, North Carolina, or wherever. I
love the idea that I don't have to think about it like that anymore."

Paul Jones
"We must protect our precious bodily fluids!" General Jack D Ripper
http://MetaLab.unc.edu/pjones/ at the Site Formerly Known As SunSITE.unc.edu
pjones AT MetaLab.unc.edu voice: (919) 962-7600 fax: (919) 962-8071