internetworkers - New Development in Downtown Durham!!!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Michael D. Thomas" <mdthomas AT mindspring.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: New Development in Downtown Durham!!!
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 01:14:28 -0400

The article below describes plans to developing more than 1 million
square feet of offices and shops in the old American Tobacco factory.
I've visited media companies in Toronto and San Francisco that have
built in old factories -- great working environments can be created in
these spaces! Downtown Durham also has great access to the airport and
RTP via the Durham Freeway, which is much less heavily traveled than
I-40.

Durham gets a bad rap, but I hope you will give it an open mind when you
come out to Tobacco Roadhouse for our June gathering. Be sure to check
out one of the best CD stores in the area -- Millenium Music, right
across from the Roadhouse at Brightleaf Square.

Story link:
http://www.newsobserver.com/standing/collections/durham/3349.html

"Dozens of residents turned out at a public hearing Monday night to show

their support for using millions of taxpayers' dollars to jump-start the
planned face lift of the American Tobacco factory downtown. County
commissioners got an earful and an eyeful -- all of it in favor of using
$18 million in county money to build parking decks to support
renovations of the old cigarette factory on the southern edge of
downtown for use as offices and shops."