internetworkers - Re: Clinton's Digital Divide NewMarkets Tour

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Rachel Cox <rachel AT hesketh.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Clinton's Digital Divide NewMarkets Tour
  • Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 13:56:06 -0400

At 12:48 PM 4/6/00 -0400, Austin, Roger wrote:
[snip]
>> this whole issue is beyond my level of comprehension. whatever happened to
>> the whole "god helps those who help themselves" thing??
>
> As a non-religionist, I guess I would ignore the god thing. :) I
>personally think this is propaganda from the ancient right-wingers
>trying to keep the peasants in line.

Well, I don't know that God said any such thing, but even if there
is something in the Bible to that effect, there's lots more to clue
us in to the fact that God really does expect us to help each other.
I forget the quote, but it's something about "What you do to the
least of these, you do to Me." And there's the story of the Good
Samaritan, which of course *did* come from the Bible. And so on.
We are not off the hook for helping each other, and certainly not
at God's behest. And I don't know any people of faith who think
we are - I'm sure they're out there, but I've never met one. And
I hope not to.

Cheers!
-Rachel
tired of being an underappreciated functionary in a soulless machine?
hesketh.com is hiring: http://hesketh.com/careers/
Rachel Cox | voice: 919.834.2552 x16 | http://www.hesketh.com