internetworkers - Re: O'Reilly/Bezos discourse

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: O'Reilly/Bezos discourse
  • Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 18:24:43 -0500

Steven Champeon wrote:
> See, now I read this as "Tim O'Reilly doesn't notice he's being played".

Being of a charitable bent, I looked upon it as Tim pulling an Aikido
move on Jeff, doing the "blend and redirect" thing. The fall comes when
Jeff tries to explain how they will not use their patent on emerging
"little guy" competitors. I *was* disappointed that Tim didn't bring up
the affiliate program patent, which is much harder for Amazon to defend
on originality or obviousness grounds.

I do think its good that O'Reilly is engaging Bezos in this very
public
manner. We little people can sign internet petitions and rant about
boycotts, but its not too often that you see someone with some actual
influence in industry actually use that influence to this kind of
effect, especially in such a public manner.

TaB