internetworkers - South Africa

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Thomas <mdthoma AT attglobal.net>
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: South Africa
  • Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 07:22:55 -0500

Around 11:00 a.m. Sunday morning, the captain of our 747-400 is telling
us that he's pretty sure that the flight we are about to embark on is
the longest non-stop commercial in the world (15+ hours,
Atlanta-Johannesburg) and they were going to apply to the Guiness Book
of World Records... Definitely a mixed-emotion moment. But I suppose if
you are going to do a 15 hour flight, it may as well be a world record.

We were also informed that sleeping on the floor was strictly
prohibited...

So anyway, I'm down in Capetown for the week... It's summer and the
weather is pleasant. If anyone has been down here before I can recommend
activities for the evenings, I'd appreciate it. Also, if anybody has
certain questions that I may be able to answer by observation, I'd love
to hear them...

  • South Africa, Michael Thomas, 02/08/2000