internetworkers - Re: Flame War at the Lounge

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Thomas A. Beckett" <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Flame War at the Lounge
  • Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2000 23:34:24 -0500

Perhaps designing a "Flame War" cocktail can be another collaborative
project for INW. I was a little surprised to find that there are
bunches of flaming mixed drinks. Some have really cool names, such as
"Combustible Edison" or "Pepe's Flame of Love Martini". I propose that
"Flame War" would stand notably in that roster.

Tom

P.S. With regard to Pepe's Flame of Love:

"Mixing instructions:

"As explained from the great bartender Pepe Ruiz of Beverly Hills
Chasen's Restauraunt: "You swirl a few drops of La Ina Sherry in a
chilled stem glass and pour it out. Than squeeze a strip of Orange peel
into the glass and flambe' it with a with match. Throw away the peel.
Now fill the glass with Ice to chill again, then throw that out. Add
vodka, than flambe' another orange peel around the rim. Now throw out
the second burnt peel. Then just stir it gently. And drink, drink."

"Creator/contributor's comments:

"The great Dean Martin was responsible for the creation of this drink.
He regularly visited the bar at Chasen's in Beverly Hills and told the
bartender - Pepe Ruiz - that he was bored with the same old Martini's.
Pepe than spent three weeks experimenting until he came up with this
drink. Dean was reportedly floored by this drink and it soon became his
favorite Martini. Frank Sinatra immortalized the drink in a 1962
recording entitled "Nothing But the Best (Is Good Enough for Me)". The
lines "I like my martini, with burn on the glass" is a veiled tribute to
the drink. Hollywood legend has it that Frank ordered 65 of the drinks
in one night - for hs guests."

Source: http://www.webtender.com