internetworkers - Re: Get DoubleClick Privacy

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: B Holroyd <beeline AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Get DoubleClick Privacy
  • Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 12:20:25 -0500

"Rampant paranoia"?

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/01/31/1429206&mode=thread

I'm not against cookies, cookies are cool and let web developers do a lot
for the users; I'm against clandestine data collection about *me*.

Do you not see how important it is for us to control, as much as possible,
the information about us that's gathered by any group -- private, public,
governmental, for-profit or non-profit?

Ask any German who remembers WWII why the EU wants to require any group
that gathers information about individuals to do so with the individual's
full knowledge and prior permission, rather than in the sneaky,
under-handed manner practiced by DoubleClick (and others, without doubt).
If our _government_ did such a thing, the hue and cry would resound to the
moon -- witness the flap over Echelon. Do you believe that the entities
known as "corporations" are more benign than those known as "government"? I
don't.

Here's another, louder, way to opt out of DoubleClick's brotherly
attention:
http://www.cdt.org/action/doubleclick.shtml

"B"
hoping that there's just enough paranoia to make folks watchful and
protective....

Steven Champeon wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, user wrote:
> > make the cookie file /dev/null.
> > ---
> > Long Live Lynx.
>
> Lynx doesn't keep cookies beyond the current session, anyway, does it?
>
> Steve,
> hoping rampant paranoia doesn't make stateful URLs the only way to
> do this stuff, in any case...

<snip>

--
"B" at home