internetworkers - [internetworkers] Re: Software Development Nightmares

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: maria.winslow at windows-linux.com (Maria C Winslow)
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Re: Software Development Nightmares
  • Date: Fri Feb 28 14:54:47 2003

This is hilarious! You would be doing the world a favor if you wrote this up
in an article for the INW website!

Maria

From: dminton at mindspring.com (David Minton)
Date: Fri Feb 28 15:05:15 2003

On 2/28/03 3:41 PM, "BigLee Haslup" <biglee AT haslups.com> wrote:

That was a terrific (at least funny for us) summary of what must have been a
sad state of affairs.

> The Zone of Certainty
> There were a few executives who seemed, for a while, to have pulled it all
> together. I remember one in particular who had a "Zone of Certainty" that
> extended about 400 yards in all directions from his person. While you were
> inside the zone everything seemed to make sense; you understood what you
> were doing, why is was needed and how to do it. It was probably an illusion
> created by his force of personality, and was ultimately unavailing in a
> geographically dispersed project (he couldn't be everywhere,) but I am
> still not sure that if we could have gotten the whole team inside the zone
> we might not have pulled it off.

This sounds like "The Reality Distortion Field." Sometimes it can even be
wielded successfully:

Notes from the Epicenter: Exploring the Reality Distortion Field

http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/9214.html?origin=story

David