homestead - [Homestead] Water Pumping With Compressed Air

  • From: "WILLIAM JONES" <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Homestead] Water Pumping With Compressed Air
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 19:55:25 GMT

>The Stauffer Positive Pump. The Stauffer is a positive displacement pump for
>use in shallow wells or where up to 125 psi of pressure is desired, it is a
>pneumatic pump designed to complement the Airlift Windmill for special
>applications. The amount of water pressure created is directly related to to
>the amount of lift needed. As the lift increases, the less pressure the
>Stauffer can produce.
I forgot to mention that the 125 psi maximum is just the maximum pressure
that their compressor can produce.  That means a maximum lift of 250 feet,
plenty for most folks.  I'm not sure about the Stauffer pump itself.  In
theory the maximum pressure any pump of this type can handle depends only on
the strength of the valves and the compression chamber itself (just a wide
pipe, really).
The second sentence is equally poorly worded.  This is true of any pump that
produces pressurized water.  If you start with so many psi, and use up some
of the that just for the lift itself, the amount of pressure left at your
shower head is just that which is left over.  Remember that 1 psi corresponds
to about 2 feet of lift, given a gravitational acceleration of 32 ft/sec/sec,
and water as the liquid.

  • [Homestead] Water Pumping With Compressed Air, WILLIAM JONES, 07/25/2012