homestead - [Homestead] Shop update

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Little houses <LittleHouses AT yahoogroups.com>, Homestead_Friends AT yahoogroups.com, brierpatch AT yahoogroups.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Shop update
  • Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 10:04:33 -0600

The shop has come mostly together. I am just thrilled about the results of the last year and a half of labor. I started with a pole barn, exposed poles, purlins, and sheet metal siding. I added false walls with studs on 24" centers between the poles. After any electrical was put in I insulated with R-13 fiberglass batts then covered with 7/16" OSB. The final touch was a ceiling of white barn tin then 6" of cellulose blown in. The temperature has not been below 45 and it quickly heats to the mid 50s during the day. Yesterday I mounted the propane heater that came out when we put in the wood stove. In less than an hour the 32 by 24 shop was in the high 60s. I still need to insulate the big door and that should happen this week.

http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/journal/images/heater.jpg
The shop heater

http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/journal/images/shop%20ceiling.jpg
Shop ceiling. It is hard to see but there are four hanging duplex outlets, ten 3' strip lights, down the center are five switched duplex outlets, one of which has a hanging trouble light plugged in, two hanging air lines plus a hanging hose reel, an air line by the front and back doors.

--
Don Bowen KI6DIU