homestead - [Homestead] Doings

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Doings
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 10:10:29 -0600

I have been busy since we moved here a year and a half ago. Lots of little and some large projects. The three most recent are putting in a wood stove, a bathroom in the sewing room, and completing the shop insulation.

The wood stove project was one that expanded beyond its bounds. We tiled the entire room before installing the stove. It is now keeping us warm.

http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/journal/September%2011/images/tiled.jpg
Tiled room

http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/journal/September%2011/images/stove.jpg
Stove waiting for cold weather

http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/journal/October%2011/images/fire.jpg
Warm fire in the stove

The next project was plumbing the sewing room. I had to run water lines to the room then plumb in a sink and toilet.

http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/journal/September%2011/images/rocks.jpg
Trenching through Ozark rocks.

http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/journal/images/tile.jpg
Toilet platform. I installed the toilet earlier this week.

http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/journal/images/backsplash.jpg
Sink backsplash was part of the mess.

http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/journal/August%2011/images/shelves.jpg
This is the book shelf I built several years ago. This is the third installation for the sewing room.

The shop is another big project. I built false walls between the posts and insulated with roll insulation. This last couple of weekends I had a tin ceiling put in and had insulation blown in. Now I am completing the electrical.

http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/journal/September%2011/images/shop%20ceiling.jpg
Shop ceiling before.

http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/journal/images/tin%20ceiling.jpg
Shop ceiling after.

http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/journal/January%2011/images/start.jpg
Start of project, bare tin.

http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/journal/January%2011/images/false%20wall.jpg
Put up a false wall with studs on 2" centers.

http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/journal/January%2011/images/insulation.jpg
Insulation.

http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/journal/January%2011/images/OSB.jpg
Cover the whole thing with OSB.

http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/journal/January%2011/images/work%20station.jpg
Workbench and shelves I built last winter.

Another project completed this summer was putting the grandsons swing set back together.
http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/journal/September%2011/images/swing.jpg

--
Don Bowen KI6DIU