homestead - Re: [Homestead] discrimination settlements, righting the wrongs?

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] discrimination settlements, righting the wrongs?
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 10:11:55 -0800

Oh, the discrimination was rampant. HOWEVER, it should address ALL who were discriminated against! Poor white cracker never got his paperwork processed either. American Indian? You were lucky if they would even accept the paperwork, let alone process it.

Now, I know this because not only did I apply but I helped a lot of folks and I'm quite anal when it comes to paperwork <g> There were no missed deadlines, no incomplete forms, no missing anything. In fact, I was a great believer in bury them in paper since I had done grants and other work with the feds and knew what they needed.

Did I qualify? You betcha <g> My business was already making money and I needed funds to purchase property so that I could expand. I'd been making money for over 10 years. Not only didn't they want to loan money to an American Indian, I had the audacity to be a woman AND in the horse business. OMG! and I quote "are you nuts?"

Should they get these settlements? Who the heck knows? Not if you didn't make the deadlines, that's for sure. But I don't like where the money is coming from. The only reason they have a surplus in the WIC program is because they make it about impossible for some folks who are truly in need to get the funds. Well, unless you are an illegal and have an anchor baby!

And I find the section that says "American Indians who say the Interior Department swindled them . . . " Ah, the BIA themselves said "we can't find the money." AND, that's only about 1/10 of the amount the BIA *supposed* lost!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "EarthNSky" <erthnsky AT gmail.com>

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/11/30/house-approves-billion-settlement-indian-black-farmers/?test=latestnews

Obviously, this is a done deal. At the end of this story is the blurb about Carl Eggleston, which I have quoted below.

To me, I'm not sure something like that should be done. Can you prove that the reason he wasn't able to get the loan is because of racial discrimination? How much should he receive in damages if so, since his proposed farm business was never even started? The paragraph right before this one states that many people are being compensated (or to quote Vilsack and Pelosi, 'wrongs are being righted') because they did not file paperwork on time and missed deadlines... WTF? They miss a deadline and suddenly the USDA owes them money?? I don't get that reasoning. If discrimination can be proved, then great, pay the people, but this, IMO, is the equivalent of saying the government owes me money from sexual discrimination because I did not become a doctor because I did not get enough financial aid in college. How the heck would you prove something like that?
Rob, I noticed that Mr. Eggleston is from Farmville, local to you, so I am hoping you can fill in the story some and make me feel better about guys like this getting compensated. I know that the media often omits crucial details, so perhaps there is more to this man's story?
I googled his name and found this interview on Civil Rights, but no where does he talk about a proposed hog farm. On the contrary, it seems he is quite successful as the owner of two funeral homes. He's been a funeral director since 1977 and had his own business since 1983. He's a community pillar, who says that adversity made him what he is today. How do you compensate Mr. Eggleston for discrimination based on loan paperwork not processed for a business that wasn't started, who will file a claim 35 years after the fact?

*http://tinyurl.com/2dvuzxl*
http://www.carlueggleston.com/
http://www.finalcareconsultants.com/gp_about_us.htm

Bev

The costs of the bill would be offset by diverting dollars from a surplus in nutrition programs for women and children, extending customs user fees and new efforts for the Treasury to recoup excess unemployment insurance payments.

Would-be farmer Carl Eggleston said he has been waiting for the bill to pass for years so he can refile his claim for the discrimination he says he faced when he tried to start a hog farm on his Virginia property. The African-American from Farmville said his application for a government loan was never even processed, and he ultimately turned to other work. Eggleston, 60, said he worked at a furniture store and a shoe company before eventually moving into the funeral home business, where he works today.

"I could never get it off the ground," he said of his venture to expand on the handful of hogs his father raised.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/11/30/house-approves-billion-settlement-indian-black-farmers/#ixzz16sSqOTuY

--
EarthNSky Farm 34.498N 85.076W
SISU! (Finnish--There is no single word in English that encompasses