homestead - Re: [Homestead] Thunder God Vine and RA

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Thunder God Vine and RA
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 15:54:54 -0700

In the hospitals where I worked, it was called Tin God Syndrome. The vast majority of doctors suffer from it. If it isn't a to b, b to c and just like the textbook tells them, then it won't work. If it isn't Western medicine it is b.s.

Takes a lot of fight them but that's what we did when DH was diagnosed with cancer. I pulled every string I had from working in the medical field. Got the log-ins to get into all kinds of medical databases. We designed our own program and we told the doctors what was going to happen.

DH had the chemo but he had our way. He had the radiation but again, it was our way. He lost no weight. He lost no hair. He didn't end up with a bag. He had NONE of the problems usually associated with chemo and radiation. His rad oncologist wrote him up in a medical journal. It's been 12 years and not so much as a polyp!

When you turn your life over to another human, regardless of the initials they hang behind their names, you become nothing but a number, a guinea pig. One more in along line of "patients" that the doctor won't even remember the name of.

You have my total sympathy for what is happening with your relative. Brownies? Space cakes?

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "EarthNSky" <erthnsky AT gmail.com>

I need to vent...
A relative of mine is on hospice after a battle with cancer. A year of chemo put the cancer into remission, but because it was Stage IV, he underwent several additional months of a maintenance chemo drug. He did fairly well on chemo, but the maintenance drug was killer, literally. A side effect was intermittent GI bleeding, and that continues on even though it has been several months without any chemo drugs. For the last four months, malnutrition has been the enemy, not cancer. He got a few transfusions to replace the blood loss and just when it looked like everything would be okay, they dropped a bomb. Because the chemo drugs were not tolerated, the doctors said 'no more chemo or radiation.' (Cardiac and kidney issues, some of which predate the cancer diagnosis), and recommended hospice because "the cancer will return w/o that chemo drug".
I'm pissed because the 'system' has given up. Even though the cancer is in remission, EVERYONE gave up and called in hospice.
Before this decision was made, my relative could have tried alternative therapies. I even tried to put them in touch with Cancer Treatment Centers of America-the place you see on TV-but no...If he would just eat and drink, he could probably recover and live a few more years, at least, but he is someone who always hated doctors, did not see a doctor for 30 years, and then, once diagnosed, revered them and believed everything they said. Even with days or weeks left now, he still drinks glucerna shakes because they told him he had diabetes.
I'm beyond frustrated. Where is the common sense?