homestead - [Homestead] Chestnuts

  • From: Lisa Kae Van Meter Perry <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Chestnuts
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 12:55:20 -0400

Hi all,

I spent time this morning learning about chestnuts. I learned more than I
needed, but it was all interesting and new (to me).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chestnut

On a walk that I take with my husband, we pass two chestnut trees and I
began collecting nuts. Lots of us are familiar with roasting chestnuts, but
I wondered what else could be done with them.

I didn't know that they lost moisture almost immediately, like fruit. To
keep them longer (without refrigeration), they should be soaked in water for
a day and dried.

Do any of you harvest chestnuts, and if so, do you use them other than for
roasting? Dried and ground into flour? Or?

Just wondering....

Lisa
sw VA