homestead - [Homestead] A Homesteading Topic

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] A Homesteading Topic
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 12:07:48 -0700

I was reading a mystery book the other night (The Doomsday Key, James
Rollins) and, of all things, in the book he discussed CCD and bees. I know
we discussed the problem on here a year or two ago. I was wondering if, as
is usual for the U.S., the problem continues but the media and sheople in
general are ignoring it or if something is being done.

We've never had any GMO crops up here, nor do we have folks with pretty lawns
nor folks who spray any of the IMD type chemical products, so never had any
bee problems.

Has any country besides France done anything about IMD or are they the only
ones who have "cured" the bee problem?

Lynda
>From indexer AT fairpoint.net Tue Mar 30 15:48:57 2010
> but the media and sheople in general are ignoring

???? Must be a local thing because it has been a big news item here for
several years, but especially the last couple of years, along with a lot
of interest from beekeepers/honey consumers. I remember an article in
the New York Times (about as "big" as it gets for news around here)
several years ago about the first run of collapse. Vermont seems to
have had a bad time of it with so far more trouble than we have seen
locally.

Several programs going now locally for comparison tactics, etc, with
some successes. We are fortunate to be located where there is
(comparatively) minimal use of pesticides and GMO crops, but Monsanto's
money-grubbing practice of tying up the market makes it hard to
get/expensive/time consuming to raise non-GMO crops. The awareness
level is high here, though, with some towns in this county prohibiting
the use of GMO seeds. Don't ask (I've no clue) how they think of
enforcing it, but since they voted it in at town meetings (still the
form of local government here) it will likely 'stick'.

Problem is magnified because a lot of beekeepers simply hung up their
gear and quit. Hard to blame them, though, with the losses they've
already suffered--hard to feed a family with years of continued losses,
first caused mostly by mites, it was then thought, now the thinking in
some quarters is that the bees were weakened by other factors and
succumbed to mites. Bees are not cheap to keep in the first place.
AFAIK, only one of those who raise pollinator bees (apples, blueberries)
in this county is still at it; there were 3 of them just 5 years or so ago.

So far mine seem to be OK, but I only have 3 double hives and I'm pretty
isolated with much native nectar source (especially sumac and various
tree species)and plenty of clean water, so not much of a 'test'. This
fall they will move to a new home (where someone else can do the
lifting!) so I hope they stay in good shape to give away.

SJ

  • [Homestead] A Homesteading Topic, Lynda, 03/30/2010