homestead - Re: [Homestead] The snow

  • From: "Gil" <gil.white AT xplornet.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The snow
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 21:46:56 -0500

Our gift to our southern neighbors to get your minds off politics for
awhile.

By comparison I live in what is normally considered a snow belt - supposedly
zone 5b when growing perennials, trees, etc.

In a normal year our last frost date is usually early May, though it's not
unusual to get nights in the 30's and low 40's well into May. We usually get
a light frost in mid September - if you cover your tomatoes with some kind
of covering you might get another 2 weeks of harvesting though the ripening
slows right up.

By comparison to your woes, our temperature has been pretty much normal -
that means below freezing with nights down below 10F and for the most part
day time temperatures reaching mid 20's (F).

The crazy part is we've had almost no snow. My neighbor normally plows me
out and he came twice in mid December and once again last week. For southern
Ontario we were running about 25% of normal snow until last week, when we
got about a foot over 5 days to bring us up to around 40% of normal.

And this weekend - for the first time in at least 3 years I was outside
pruning in bright sun and temperatures in the low 40's. At no point tromping
around the yard did the snow reach the top of my boots.

Though honestly I wouldn't of minded some of the snow we sent you. It's
supposed to be a drier then normal spring up here.

Maybe you can send us some warm wet gulf air.

Gil