homestead - Re: [Homestead] Preserving rare farm animals through science

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Preserving rare farm animals through science
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 13:12:13 EST

>From the article: "Keeling over when frightened by a potential predator is
not the most desirable trait in a small ruminant, ,,,:

Doesn't give me a lot of confidence about these vets and animal experts
that they don't know that this is a very desireable trait in a small
ruminant.
Many of the predators won't eat carrion. When they come up to a goat that
is completely comatose, their instincts tell them that it is already dead
and not fit to eat. Same defense mechanism built into the 'possum.

But my main misgiving about this is about its continual funding.
Maintaining cyrogentics long term is a very expensive proposition and the
personnel
involved in harvesting the embryos and ongoing testing is money intensive.

So while the prospects of frozen embryos is a better prospect than nothing,
the future of these animals depends on them being bred on living and
breathing farms and farmsteads.

James</HTML>