homestead - Re: [Homestead] [BULK] Re: Farm Update

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: roxann <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] [BULK] Re: Farm Update
  • Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 13:43:49 -0500

That's a nice offer, wish I could take you up on it! We do have an RO filter in our kitchen, but it's not doing us any good in this situation. I think everyone around here who still has a flowing spring is concerned about when they might end up in the same boat we are in. Lots of folks say we can come over and use their shower, but how practical is this living out of a gym bag? We keep odd hours and you know how filthy one can get working in the garden or with the animals. I would feel obligated to clean up their space after every use. We have joked about taking over the local Texaco bathroom for all our needs. Too bad they removed the tub from the house they converted into my husbands' band hall when they renovated it. *sigh*

roxann wrote:
There are places out here to get water free if you want to haul it in a truck
tank. A lot of people do that. There's a spring in Boxely valley where some
go. In huntsville, there's a municpal spring, but there's signs saying its
not intended for drinking, but most who use it do drink it. i think its very
inexpensive, maybe .50 for a whole truck tank. .50/gallon is theivery. if you
lived near me sage, you wouldn't wear out your welcome. you could just park a
spare tank in a trailer and let it fill from our overflow and come swap them
out when you'd used up the first. that could go on indefinitely. our spring
isn't a high flowing gusher, but its plenty water most of the year round. we
usually only have to ration it during late summer and early fall, but this
fall has been exceptionally wet. our water recharges from the south of us
where only a national forest is, no chicken barns or cattle fields, thank
goodness. i still filter it, though.

Roxann, NW AR
http://blog.ancientearthwisdom.com (Ozark Musings from the homestead)