homestead - [Homestead] mutant squash - yum

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] mutant squash - yum
  • Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 19:56:04 -0700 (PDT)

Original plant yellowish, and about 7" long.  I didn't care too much for the
flavor of the original, but what the heck this is an experiment........

One seed planted,,,,,,, the plant is now some 30' across, three main branches
that don't want to quite and keep flowering and putting out new squash.

Some are like the original, most are something else.

They look like pumpkins (orange, teardrop elongated).
The smell like pumpkins when you open them.
But the texture is definitely spaghetti squash.

I just steamed half of the first one opened, and just had to taste it without
any seasoning at all.
OMG it is sooooooooooo delicious.  Almost sweet.
The meat is a very light yellow color.

14 more of these are growing on the single plant.  The rabbits ate about 4 of
the little ones, and now I know why..........

I like curcubits !!  So far easy, and a beginner needs the encouragement !

Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I'd have so many watermelons,
canteloupe, and honey dew and squash (hubbard, acorn, and mutants spaghetti)
all of the dang things are still making babies !

Just when I thought the plants were starting to get "worn out" looking,
they've gotten a 2nd wind and putting out new leaves and flowers.

Same w/ beans, especially the pinto beans.

I do wish at times that I had a separate room to process all the food, and
start little plants for the spring, as my living space is very tiny.  Pretty
soon, there will only be enough room for food and no room for me...........
:-)